2017年上半年大学英语六级口语词汇讲解(十九)
来源 :中华考试网 2017-01-22
中A: One day when we were at a dance, Mary said thatshe wanted to have a good talk with me.
有一天在跳舞的时候,玛丽说想要和我好好谈谈。
B: She was up to no good, I suppose. What did shesay to you?
我猜他没有什么好事,她跟你说什么呢?
A: She said that she wanted to help me to make afortune.
她说她想帮我赚大钱。
B: What did you say? Did you fall for her fast talk?
那你怎么说?你信了她的花言巧语吗?
A: Of course not. I didn’t want to be the one used by her.
才不会了,我不会被他利用的。
知识点讲解
Fast在美国俚语中有“圆滑的,油嘴滑舌的,靠不住的,骗人的”的意思。Fast talk这个名词短语的意思即为:花言巧语。
A: Let me see. How much should I pay for you?
让我想想,我应该付你多少钱?
B: Don’t think about it!
别想了。
A: No, this will not do. Let me see.
那不行,那我想想。
B: You pay for the taxi and dinner, then even things up.
你来付出租车费和晚餐费,这样就扯平了。
A: Good ideas.
好主意。
知识点讲解
Even up是指“使得局势或竞争尽量公平合理”。
A: Maybe you are right. But in most cases I get sickof people who keep smiling.
也许你是对的,在大多数情况下,我还是讨厌那些始终微笑的人。
B: Keeping a straight face may indicate a boredom.But if you fall for someone, I’m sure you will smile toher most of the time instead of keeping a straightface in front of her.
面无表情暗示着讨厌,但是如果你迷恋上某个人,我相信在大多数时间,你一定是对她微笑而不是神情严肃。
A: I don’t have a bone to pick with you on this point. By the way, did you fall for the manager?It seems you had a crush on him.
我不想在这个问题上和你争吵。顺便问一下,你是不是迷恋上经理呢?看上去似乎你已经爱上他了。
B: Nonsense! Don’t fall for anyone.
废话,你最好别迷恋上任何人。
知识点讲解
Fall 在这里的意思是“倾向于”,fall for的意思即为:倾向于……。其后面跟sb.,意为“迷恋上某人”;其后面跟sth.,意为“亲信某事”。